Thursday, April 4, 2013

ToolTip in OBIEE reports onMouseOver

 ToolTip in OBIEE Reports

When we hover on any report, we can show a tool tip to the user. Not only the same column text, we can show other column values as a hovering text. 

In 'Column Properties' we use 'Custom' or 'HTML' data format to achieve this,and, in 'Edit Formula' you can write HTML codes. 


How to do it :
To demonstrate this,  I am choosing 2 columns, LOB & Product. When I roll over my mouse on 'Product' I want to get 'Brand' as my tool tip.

Step 1: In the 'Edit Formula', I am introducing HTML codes. 

Step 2: In the 'Column Properties' , under 'Data Format' tab, I am choosing HTML 





















Note:

1) I have used <HTML><B><SPAN> instead we can use <SPAN>, no need to mention <HTML> tags, just for this demo I have used <HTML> tags in column properties
.
2) For Numeric columns, use Cast functions to convert the Numeric data to Char, like , cast ( year as char(4) ) 

3) Under Column Properties, Data Format Tab: We can either select 'CUSTOM' or 'HTML'






7 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tip...but iam facing a problem if the tooltip column (eg: brand in this case) has data consisting of more than 1 word (separated by spaces). Iam getting only the 1st word on mover hover. Can you help me on this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nathan,

    You have to enclose the title in single quotes.Something like this:

    title=''' || "Products Dim"."Prod Dsc" || '''> '

    As you can see in Span tag after title= i have enclosed with single quote. Use this you will get all the words even with spaces.

    Happy to help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not able to get more than one word, I tried adding another cote but its giving syntax error, can you please help?

    title= ' ||"Fact - InstallationDefectsQuality"."description" || '>' || "Fact - InstallationDefectsQuality"."Section" ||'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Viresh, I solved the same problem by using REPLACE("Products Dim"."Prod Dsc",' ',' ')to fill the blank spaces with the html character for non-breaking space.

      Delete
    2. That didn't publish correctly the second blank space in the REPLACE function should contain "nbsp;" preceded by an ampersand.

      Delete
  4. Hi All,If I want to color the mouseover text then where I can keep the font color syntax in below.Please suggest.

    Column Name

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete